Backend & Frontend
The backend usually consists of three parts: a server, an application, and a database. If you book a flight or buy concert tickets, you usually open a website and interact with the frontend. Once you’ve entered that information, the application stores it in a database that was created on a server.
A server is a computer designed to process requests and deliver data to other (
Computer hardware is the physical parts or components of a computer, such as monitor, keyboard, computer data storage, graphic card, sound card, motherboard, and so on, all of which are tangible objects.
Software enables a user to perform a task, and system software such as an operating system, which enables other software to run properly, by interfacing with hardware and with other software.
Backend Basics: WordPress & HTML
WordPress is used in the backend of a website to ensure that the frontend has a good UX.
HTML means Hypertext Markup Language: a standardized system for tagging text files to achieve font, color, graphic, and hyperlink effects on World Wide Web pages.
TASK: Look below at the HTML version below of this sentence you’re reading right now. What symbols and letters make something bold? What makes a word red? Or underlined? What does a link look like? What HTML markup makes a word italic on a webpage? Why is this entire line a different size than the other text?
<h4><span style=”color: red;”>TASK</span>: Look below at the HTML version below of this sentence you’re reading right now. What symbols and letters make something <strong>bold</strong>? What makes a word <span style=”color: red;”>red</span>? Or <u>underlined</u>? What does a <a href=”http://summeritcamp.com/glossary/” >link</a> look like? What HTML markup makes a word <em>italic</em> on a webpage? Why is this entire line a different size than the other text?</h4>
TASK: Cut and paste the above html into the box here. Make the following changes:
- Make the word bold italic
- Make the word italic bold
- Remove the underline from the word underline
- Changes the words in red to green
- Make sure when you click on ‘link’ it goes to this page and not the glossary
TASK: Go to this url: www.summeritcamp.com/wp-admin and use the login your team was given to login to the backend of the Summer IT Camp website. Follow the verbal instructions to acquaint yourself with wordpress.
How To Set Up A Website
- Go to a hosting company such as GoDaddy. Other hosting companies include HostGator, LiquidWeb, and BlueHost.
- See if the domain name (for example: summeritcamp.com is the domain name of this website) you want is available.
- Purchase domain name and hosting plan. The hosting plan is where your website information will be stored so that people from all over the world can see what you create.
- Once you’ve purchased a domain and hosting, install wordpress.
- Create your website!